FRIENDS COLLEGE KAIMOSI LIBRARY
FCK library was established in 1971 along side with the Institution to support the study and training of institutions programmes.
The library supplies required materials for the courses offered and as well as reference collection. The library has an automated circulation system and houses a collection of over 4500 volumes of books, bound materials, periodicals magazines and dailies.
To be a leading information centre in dissemination of relevant information resources.
To offer quality library services.
- To improve the quality of services offered to the users.
- To improve the collection development.
- To improve the library services by automation so as to meet the changing information needs.
- To enhance access to a wide range of information resources to the users.
Membership is open to all staff and students of FCK community. All registered users shall be required to clear with the library before they proceed for their holidays.
- Teaching staff 6 books for a period of two weeks, renewable twice.
- Non-teaching staff 2 books for a period of two weeks renewable twice
- Students 2 books for a period of two weeks renewable twice.
Monday – Friday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm
Evening 7.00 pm – 9.30 pm
Saturday & Public holidays closed
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All registered staff and students are responsible for materials issued to them.
- Books are issued for Two weeks and can be renewed for further 2 weeks if they have not been reserved by other readers, periodicals, newspapers and other miscellaneous publications are registered to internal use and circulation due to their high demand.
- Anybody found damaging library materials or returning damaged materials will be required to pay the total cost or replacement at three times the cost price.
- Students and staff will be issued with books on production of their collegeI.D /National ID fully validated.
- Fines will be charged at a rate of Ksh. 8/= per day per book. All library users will be subject to this requirement.
- Bags, briefcases, attach cases and large parcel, personal textbooks, magazines, files, newspapers etc. are not allowed in the library. Coats, jackets, and other heavy over coats should not be worn in the library.
- Any reader behaving in a manner liable to cause breach of peace shall be expelled from the use of the library.
- Any user caught stealing books will immediately be taken to the administration for the necessary legal action and the student /Staff may risk his/her studies/job being terminated.
- Any stranger or bonfide reader must seek permission and register with the library before using library facilities
- Conversations, unnecessary movements are at constant with one of the main purpose of library, which is to provide a place for relaxed and quiet study. Please desist from making noise and unnecessary disturbances inside the library.
- Talking through the window is not allowed.
- Students and staff are requested to return all library books before leaving for holidays. Legal action will be undertaken for those who do not comply.
- Fines will be charged at a rate of Ksh. 50/= for any disturbances caused by ringing mobile phones.
- The librarian has the authority to refuse or withdraw library facilities if or any of the above rules and regulations are disregarded.
- Only registered members will be allowed to borrow library books.
- Short loan library collection can be borrowed for overnight.
- Fines will be charged at the rate of KSHS 8/= per day per book.
- The librarian has the authority to demand back any or books borrowed from library.
- Loaned materials are not transferable to another user.
The library offers a wide range of services.
- Reference Services: where users are assisted in answering queries and literature search.
- User Education Program me
Library orientation for new users.
The library has a catalogue and library staff gives instructions on how to use the catalogue.
- Circulation Services
The library has an automated circulation system and
Lending of library materials is subject to rules and regulations. The librarian has the authority to surcharge users who fail to return materials within the loan period.
Books on long loans are lent out for 14 days.
Books on short loan are lend out for a day or for an overnight
It involves liaising with various heads of department in ordering of library materials.
Processing of information materials i.e. receiving, stamping, accessioning and assigning electronic bar codes.
Minor repair is done on worn out books
Binding of the library materials i.e. spiral and tape binding.
Reuben A.C. Andati
Head of Section (Library)