The main mandate of the industrial liaisons office is to
- Ensure proper and efficient management of students’ industrial attachment in accordance with the training and certification requirements of the directrate of industrial training (D.I.T) and the various examining bodies i.e. (KNEC).
- To create and maintain mutually beneficial collaborations and linkages between the institution and industry.
PURPOSE OF INDUSTRIAL ATTACHMENT
- Enables the students to meet the training and certification requirements of the various examining bodies.
- Enables the students to meet the training requirements of the Directorate of Industrial Training (D.I.T0.
NOTE: the current minimum standard period of industrial attachment is 660 hours.
IMPORTANCE OF INDUSTRIAL ATTACHMENT.
Students are advised to take industrial attachment very seriously. This is because industrial exposure gives them an opportunity to practically apply knowledge and theory learned in class. Industrial attachment thus;
- Enhances their understanding and appreciation of what is learnt in class which helps them to prepare adequately for examinations.
- Forms the first real job experience. They learn the intricacies, dynamics and expectation of the real world of work which becomes very useful when seeking job placement after training.
- Gives them an opportunity to meet, interact and network with their future prospective employers.
- Helps the students to appreciate the need for responsibility, self discipline, adherence to rules and regulations and reliability.
PROCEDURE FOR INDUSTRIAL ATTACHMENT
- Students due for attachment are identified by the prospective heads of departments.
- Students are then advised on the requirements of industrial attachment including making the necessary payment.
- The process of securing appropriate places of attachment is then commenced. This is a collaborative effort between the students, guardians, MoHEST and the institution.
- The college then makes arrangements to procure insurance covers for the students.
- Students are then issued with log books and insurance covers. They are also guided on conducted and expectations during the attachment period.
- Arrangements are made to have the students assessed.
- Assessment and evaluation forms are received and a final report compiled.
- Attachment certificates are issued to successful students.
INDUSTRIAL LIAISONS OFFICER
E- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org